Follow MAST Academy on Facebook
Maritime and Science Technology Academy, commonly referred to as MAST Academy is a public high school in Miami, Florida. MAST Academy is a magnet school under the governance of Miami-Dade County Public Schools . The school principal is Josephine Otero, appointed in 2013.
The academic focus of MAST Academy is primarily maritime studies. Students choose one of three major areas of study in which a traditional U.S. high school curriculum is infused with maritime-related subjects. These major areas of study are Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences (OAS), Maritime Studies and Culture (MSC), and Marine Related Industries (MRI). Some special course offerings include: Marine Science, Film Studies, Solar Energy , Environmental Science , Sea Classics, Swimming , Ethics and Leadership, and Water Safety.
MAST Academy is located on Virginia Key , a barrier island between Miami and Key Biscayne , across the street from the Miami Seaquarium and within walking distance from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science .
The school has an enrollment of over 800 students and 45.0 classroom teachers
It has a tradition of academic excellence, and has three times been ranked among Newsweek ' s Top 100 High Schools. With a 22:1 student-to-teacher ratio, MAST has been listed as one of "Miami-Dade's Best Schools".
MAST Academy is 50% Hispanic, 29% White non-Hispanic, 17% Black, and 4% Asian.
The main sports are water polo , swimming, sailing , and crew . The men and women's Soccer Teams are also competitive.
MAST is very active in the National Ocean Sciences Bowl Competition, having established a tradition of placing first in the state and a fifth place national showing in 2006. The Black History Brain Bowl team won the 2006 Regional Championships.
MAST is home to the only Coast Guard JROTC unit in the country.
The band of MAST Academy is the steel drum band directed by Cayce Benton. The steel drum band won their division in the Florida State High School Jazz Band Competition in 1999.
The school's mascot is the mako shark named Isurus.
The Beacon , MAST's student-run newspaper, and the yearbook, Mako Fuka , have received Gold Medals from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
- ^ a b c Maritime & Science Technology Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 27, 2007.
- ^ Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- ^ U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2006 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- ^ CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- ^ Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- ^ "The Top of the Class 2008". MSNBC.com. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- ^ Miami-Dade's Best Schools
- ^ http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/17664